Depuration of blood shell cockle using different filter on the Heavy Metals (Pb and Cd) content
Keywords:Depuration, cookles, Anadara, heavy, metal, Pb, Cd
The existence of heavy metal in aquatic environment gives negative effects in growth, reproduction and survival rate of aquatic biota. Lead (Pb) and Cadmium (Cd) are source of pollution. Currently, the shell is indicated as aquatic pollution. This research was aimed to study the effect of different filter in depuration on the content of Pb and Cd in Anadara antiquate and determine the best filter medium, which is able to reduce the content of Pb and Cd. The research was designed using completely randomized design with 4 treatments and 5 replications. Depuration process was conducted by using filter of Gracillaria sp, zeolit and active carbon. The content of heavy metal was examined using atomic absorption spectrophotometer. The results revealed that different filter affected the content of Pb and Cd in A. antiquate. Active carbon filter exhibited the reduction of Pb and Cd of 31.5% and 28.56% respectively, it was the best filter medium used in depuration, compared to zeolite, Gracillaria sp and without filter.
Almeida, J. A., Barreto, R. E., Novelli, L. B., Castro, F. J., and Moron, S. E., 2009. Oxidative Stress Biomarkers and Aggressive Behavior in Fish Exposed to Aquatic Cadmium Contamination. Neotropical Ichtyology, Vol 7, pp. 103-108, 2009.
APHA (American Public Health Association). 2005. Standard method for the examination of water and wastewater ed.21th. Eaton AD, Franson MAH, editor. APHA.
Flora, S. J. S., 2009. Metal Poisoning: Treatment and Management. Review Article. Al Ameen. J. Med. Sci, Vol 2, pp. 4-26.
Gabr, H. R. and A. Gab-Alla. 2008. Effect to Transplantation on heavy metal concentrations in commercial clams of lake timsah, Suez Canal, Egypt. Oceanologia 50 (1): 83-93.
Hidayat, T. 2011. Profil Asam Amino Blood cockle (Anadaraantiquata). Departemen Teknologi Hasil Perairan. Fakultas Perikanan dan Ilmu Kelautan.Institut Pertanian Bogor. Bogor.
Keputusan Menteri Kelautan dan Perikanan Nomor: KEP.17/MEN/2004 tentang Sistem Sanitasi Kekerangan. Kementerian Kelautan dan Perikanan.
Metian M, Hedouin L, Barbot Q, Teyssie JL, Fowler SW, Goudard F. 2005. Use of radiotracer techniques to study subcellular distribution of metals and radionuclides in bivalves from the Noumea Lagoon, New Caledonia.Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 75:89â€“93.
Patrick, L. 2003. Toxic Metals and Antioxidants. Part II the Role of Antioxidant in Arsenic and Cadmium Toxicity â€“ Toxic Metals part II. Alternativer Medicine Review.
Payung, F. L. 2013. Studi Kandungan dan Distribusi Spasial Logam Berat Timbal (Pb) pada Sedimen dan Kerang (Anadara Sp.) di Wilayah Pesisir Kota Makassar. Fakultas Kesehatan Masyarakat. Universitas Hasanudin. Makasar.
Prihatini, W. dan A. H. Mulyati. 2013. Depurasi Merkuri dengan Ozonasi pada Anadara antiquate dalam upaya keamanan bahan pangan. Fakultas Matematika dan Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam.Universitas Pakuan. Bogor.
Suksmerri.2008. Dampak Pencemaran Logam Timah Hitam (Pb) Terhadap Kesehatan. Fakultas Kesehatan Masyarakat. UniversitasAndalas. Padang.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.