Synthesis of Dihydrocoumarin derivatives from Methyl trans-Cinnamate And Evaluation of their Bioactivity as Potent anticancer Agents
Keywords:dihydrocoumarin derivatives, methyl trans-cinnmate, cinnamic acid, 4-phenylchroman-2-one, 8-methyl -4- phenylchroman-2-one, and 6-methyl-4-phenylchroman-2-one
Synthesis of dihydrocoumarin derivatives from methyl trans-cinnamate is described. The reaction can be carried out as a simple one pot reaction using acid catalyst. Firstly, methyl trans-cinnamate was converted into cinnamic acid via hydrolysis reaction with alkaline. Secondly, esterification reaction of cinnamic acid was carried out by using an acid catalyst p-toluensulfonic acid with phenol, o-cresol, p-cresol which lead to the production of 4-phenylchroman-2-one, 8-methyl -4-phenylchroman-2-one, and 6-methyl-4-phenylchroman-2-one.
Sinaga, Erna. Alpinia galanga (L.) Willd., Lengkuas. Pusat Penelitian dan Pengembangan Tumbuhan Obat UNAS (P3TO UNAS). http://www.warintek.ristek.go.id/pangan_kesehatan/tanaman_obat /depkes/Bunglai % 20laki.pdf, tanggal 10 Mei 2012.
Ernawati, Teni, Deana Wahyuningrum, Minarti, Yulia Anita, Lia Meilawati, dan Puspa D. Lotulung, â€œDevelopment of Raw Materials for Drugs by Using Methyl trans Cinnamate Isolated from Galangal (Alpinia malaccensis) as Novel Approaches to Drug Discoveryâ€. In Proceeding of The Eijkman Institute Comes of Age: Vitamins, Genomics, dan Welfar. Jakarta: Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology, PIV-5, pp 146, 2011.
Muchtaridi, Ikhsan Rambia, Ida Musfiroh. Kadar Metil Sinamat dari Batang, Daun dan Rimpang Tumbuhan Laja Gowah (Alpinia Malaccensis (Burm f.)) dengan GC/MS. Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Padjajaran, 2008.
Li, Q. F., S. L. Shi, Q. R. Liu, J. Tang, J. Song, dan Y. Liang. â€œ Anticancer Effects of Ginsenoside Rg1, Cinnamic Acid, and Tanshinone in Osteosarcoma MG-63 Cells: Down Regulation and Cytoplasmic Trafficking of Neucleophosminâ€, Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol, Vol. 40,pp.1918 â€“ 1929, 2008.
Baltas,M. P. De, dan F. Bedos Belval. â€œCinnamis Acid Derivatives as Anticancer Agents- A Review. Current Medicinal Chemistryâ€, Vol.18, pp.1672 â€“ 1703, 2011.
Bairwa, Ranjeet, Mariam S. Degani, â€œNovel Molecular Hybrid of Cinnamic Acids and Guanylhidrazones as Potential Antitubercular Agentsâ€, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Vol.20, pp.1623 â€“ 1625, 2010.
Li, Kelin, Lindsay N. Foressee, dan Jon A. Tunge. â€œTrifluoroacetic Acid Mediated Hydroarylation: Synthesis of Dihydrocoumarins dan Dihydroquinolonesâ€, J. Org. Chem, Vol.70 (7), pp. 2881 â€“ 2883, 2005.
Lin, Hsiu Chen, Shin Hui Tsai, Chien Shu Chen, â€œStructure Activity Relationship of Coumarin Derivatives on Xanthine oxidase Inhibiting and Free Radical-Scavenging Activitiesâ€, Biochemical Pharmacology, Vol.75, pp.1416 â€“ 1425, 2008.
Baba, Masaki, Yongri Jin, Atsuo Mizuno, Studies on Cancer Chemoprevention by Traditional Folk Medicines XXIV, â€œInhibitory Effect of A Coumarin Derivative, 7-isopentenylcoumarin, Against Tumor-Preventionâ€, Biol. Pharm. Bull, Vol. 25 (2), pp. 244 â€“ 246, 2002.
Ekowati, Heny, Indwiani Astuti, dan Mustofa, â€œAnticancer Activity of Calanone on HeLa Cell Lineâ€, Indo. J. Chem, Vol.10(2), pp. 247 â€“ 251, 2010.
Chuang, Jing-Yuang, Yung Feng Huang, Hsu Feng Lu, â€œCoumarin Induces Cell Cycle Arrest and Apoptosis in Human Cervical Cancer HeLa Cells Through A Mitochondria and Caspase-3 Dependent Mechanism and NF-kB Down-Regulationâ€, In vivo, Vol. 2t, pp.1003 â€“ 1010, 2007.
Sudalai, A. dan A. R. Jagdale. â€œp-toluenesulfonic acid Mediated Hydroarilation of Cinnamic Acids with Anisoles and Phenols Under Metal and Solvent-Free Conditionsâ€, Tetrahedron Letters, Vol. 48, pp. 4895 â€“ 4898, 2007.
Dey, P. M. dan J. B. Harborne, â€œMethods in Plant Biochemistry: Assays for Bioactivityâ€, Volume 6. London: Academic Press, pp. 1 â€“ 30, 1991.
McLaughlin, Jerry L., Lingling L. Rogers, dan Jon E. Anderson, â€œThe Use of Biological Assays to Evaluate Botanicalsâ€, Drug Information Journal, Vol.32, pp. 513 â€“ 524, 1998.
Wu, Bin, Jin-Shui Zhu, Yi Zhang, Wei-Ming Shen, dan Qiang Zhang, â€œ Predictive Value of MTT Assay as An in vitro Chemosensitivity Testing for Gastric Cancer: One Institutionâ€™s Experienceâ€, World Journal Gastroenterology, Vol.14 (19), pp. 3064 â€“ 3068, 2008.
Sumaryono, Wahono dan Agung Eru Wibowo, â€œAktivitas sitotoksik Ekstrak Etanol Daun Aglaia elliptica Blume terhadap Galur Sel Kanker Serviks (HeLa)â€, J. Ilmu Kefarmasian Indonesia, Vol. 8(1), pp. 19 â€“ 23, 2010.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.