Effects of Manganese Addition on the Corrosion Behaviour of Aluminium Alloys in Different Media
Keywords:Alloy, aluminum, corrosion, passivation
AbstractIn this paper, we report on the effect of manganese addition on Â the corrosion behavior of aluminium alloys in some different media (H2SO4, hydrogen tetraoxosulphate (vi) and HCl, hydrochloric acid). Â Aluminum alloys containing 1.5%, 2.5% and 3.5% manganese wereÂ cast into rods; which were later machined and subsequently cut into coupons averaging a total surface area of 13.33cm3. The samples were weighed and immersed into beakers containing 0.25M, 0.5M, and 1.0M of H2SO4 and HCl solutions respectively. The set up were allowed to stand for 48 hours with the coupons removed every 12 hours for weight loss measurements using the normal procedures. The results show that the corrosion rate decreased with increasing exposure time in the respective media. In particular, at a concentration of 0.5 M H2SO4, a step decrease was observed, indicating the possibility of the precipitation of the intermetallic compounds and the amount of intermetallic precipitation increase arising from the manganese addition.
A.M. Pardo, C. Merino, A. E. Coy, R. Arrabal, F. Viejo, and E. Matykina, "Corrosion behaviour of magnesium/aluminium alloys in 3.5 wt.% NaCl," Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp.823-834, 2008.
M. Zamin, "The role of Mn in the corrosion behavior of Al-Mn alloys," Corrosion, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 627-632, 1981.
R. Rosliza, W.B. Wan Nik, and H. B. Senin, "The effect of inhibitor on the corrosion of aluminum alloys in acidic solutions," Materials Chemistry and Physics. vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 281-288, 2008.
U.R. Evans, The Corrosion and Oxidation of Metals, London, Edward Amold, 1976.
C.E. Ekuma, and N.E. Idenyi, â€˜The Inhibition Characteristics of Brine on the Corrosion Susceptibilty of Al-Zn Alloy Systems,â€™ Information Technology Journal, vol.7, no. 2, pp. 237-241, 2007.
S. Vuelvas, S. Valdez, J. G. Gonzalez-Rodriguez, â€œEffect of Mg and Sn Addition on the Corrosion Behavior of an Al-Mn Alloy in 0.5 M H2SO4â€, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., vol.7, pp. 4171 â€“ 4181, 2012.
O. Lunder, T. Kr Aune, and K. Nisancioglu, "Effect of Mn additions on the corrosion behavior of mould-cast magnesium ASTM AZ91," Corrosion, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 291-295, 1987.
N.E. Idenyi, S.I. Neife and U. Uzor, â€˜The Corrosion Behaviour of Recrystalized Mild Steel in Various Tetraoxosulphate (vi) Acid [H2SO4] Concentrationsâ€™, J. Corrosion Sci. Tech., vol.1, no.1, pp. 54-55, 2004.
M.G. Fontana, 1987. Corrosion Engineering, 3rd Edition, New York, NY, McGraw-Hill Book Company, pp. 229237 1987.
M.N.C. Ijomah, Elements of Corrosion and Protection Theory, Auto Century Publishing Co. Ltd, Enugu, pp.112-126, 1991.
M. Reffass, C. Berziou, C. RÃ©bÃ©rÃ©, A. Billard, and J. Creus, "Corrosion behaviour of magnetron-sputtered Al 1âˆ’ xâ€“Mnx coatings in neutral saline solution," Corrosion Science, vol. 52, no. 11, pp.3615-3623, 2010.
H. Krawiec, S. Zbigniew, and V. Vignal, "Influence of applied strain on the micro-structural corrosion of AlMg2 as-cast aluminium alloy in sodium chloride solution," Corrosion Science, vol. 65, pp.387-396, 2012.
R. Arrabal, B. Mingo, A. Pardo, M. Mohedano, E. Matykina, and I. RodrÃguez, "Pitting corrosion of rheocast A356 aluminium alloy in 3.5 wt.% NaCl solution," Corrosion Science, vol. 73, pp. 342-355, 2013.
G. Rossana, M. A. Baker, J. E. Castle, B. Dunn, and J. F. Watts, "Localized corrosion of a 2219 aluminium alloy exposed to a 3.5% NaCl solution," Corrosion Science, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 2855-2866, 2010.
A. .I. Onen, B. T. Nwufo, E. E. Ebenso, and R. M. Hlophe, "Titanium (IV) oxide as corrosion inhibitor for aluminium and mild steel in acidic medium," International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 5, pp. 1563-1573, 2010.
A.A. Mohammed, S.S. Abd EI-Rehim, E.E.F El-Sherbini, O.A. Hazzazi, and M. N. Abbas, "Polyacrylic acid as a corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in weakly alkaline solutions. Part I: Weight loss, polarization, impedance EFM and EDX studies," Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 658-667, 2009.
V. Ladislav, M. KliÅ¡kiÄ‡, and S. GudiÄ‡, "Application of phenolic acids in the corrosion protection of Al-0.8 Mg alloy in chloride solution," Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., vol.4, pp.1568-1582, 2009.
A.Y. El-Etre, "Inhibition of aluminum corrosion using Opuntia extract," Corrosion science, vol.45, no. 11, pp. 2485-2495, 2003.
S.A. Umoren, I. B. Obot, E. E. Ebenso, and N. O. Obi-Egbedi, "The Inhibition of aluminium corrosion in hydrochloric acid solution by exudate gum from Raphia hookeri" Desalination, vol. 247, no. 1, pp.561-572, 2009.
A.B. Bouyanzer, Hammouti, and L. Majidi, "Pennyroyal oil from Mentha pulegium as corrosion inhibitor for steel in 1M HCl," Materials Letters, vol.60, no. 23, pp. 2840-2843, 2006.
M. Znini, L. Majidi, A. Bouyanzer, J. Paolini, J-M. Desjobert, J. Costa, and B. Hammouti, "Essential oil of Salvia aucheri mesatlantica as a green inhibitor for the corrosion of steel in 0.5 M H2SO4," Arabian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 5, no. 4, pp.467-474, 2012.
P.A. Nwofe, "Waste management and environmental sustainability-A case study of selected cities in Ebonyi State," Cont. J. Env. Sci., vol. 7, no. 1, pp.20-28, 2013.
P.A. Nwofe, "Comparative Analysis Of Domestic Energy Use in Nigeria," Continental Journal of Renewable Energy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp.7-17, 2013.
P.A. Nwofe, "Determination of the Generation rate of solid waste in Abakaliki Metropolis, Ebonyi State, Nigeria," Continental Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 1-3, 2013.
K. R. Baldwin, R. I. Bates, R. D. Arnell, and C. J. E. Smith. "Aluminium-magnesium alloys as corrosion resistant coatings for steel," Corrosion science, vol.38, no. 1, pp.155-170, 1996.
P.A. Nwofe, "Waste Resources and Climate Change: Implications and Mitigation," International Journal of Science and Research, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1602-1606, 2014.
Patrick Akata Nwofe, "Management and Disposal of Municipal Solid Wastes in Abakaliki Metropolis, Ebonyi State, Nigeria," International Journal of Scientific Research in Environmental Sciences, vol.3, no. 3, pp.107-118, 2015.
A. K. Chandler, Marine and Offshore Corrosion, Betterworth and Co. (Publishers) Ltd, 1985.
W.D. Callister, Materials Science and Engineering- An Introduction, Ney York, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 1996.
L. Vrsalovic, M. Kliskic, S. Gudic, â€œAplication of phenolic acids in the corrosion protection of Al-0.8Mg alloy in chloride solutionâ€ International Journal of Electrochemical Science, vol. 4, no. 11, pp.1568-1582, 2009.
K.R. Baldwin, R.I. Bates, R.D. Arnell, C.J.E. Smith, â€œAluminium-magnesium alloys as corrosion resistant coatings for steel,â€ Corros.ion Science, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 155-170, 1996.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.