Physico-chemical Characterization of Household Waste from the City of Tsévié (Togo)
Keywords:Waste, management, characterization, household waste, management, Tsévié
No previous studies have been carried out on the type of waste in the municipality of Tsévié, the capital of the maritime region in Togo. As part of the implementation of the Water and Sanitation project in Togo (PEAT2), two characterization campaigns were carried out on the household solid waste in this city.
The characterization method used is that of MODECOM (Method of Characterization of Household Waste). This method involves sampling 500 kg of waste on all collected waste. Two types of sorting are carried out. Sorting by size (<10 m, 20-100 mm >100 mm) and sorting by category (13 categories). Since waste varies according to its source, samples are made up of two types: market waste and household waste. The results indicate that the fine and extra fine fractions are the majority with 54.45% in the rainy season and 56.57% in the dry season. These physico-chemical analyses carried out on the waste of the city of Tsévié, constitute a database and allow the local authorities to plan a better waste management in the municipality.
. Souad, M.A., Mohamed, M., Khaled, A., Lahlou, B., 2011. Upgrading of a Mixture of Ash from a Thermal Power Plant and Steel Slag in Road Pavements. Revue francophone d'écologie industrielle N°59.
. Tezanou, J., Koulidiati, J., Proust, M., Sougoti, M., Goudeau,C., Kafando,P. and Rogaume, T., 2001. Characterization of household waste in the city of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso). Annals of the University of Ouagadougou.
Aloueimine, S.O., Matejka G., Zurbrugg, C., Sidi Mohamed, M.E., 2006. "Characterization of household waste in Nouakchott - Part 2: Results in the Dry and Wet Seasons. Waste- Revue Francophone d'Ecologie Industrielle N°44. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-03183203
Ademe, Agence de l'Environnement et de la Maîtrise de l'Energie, France 1993. - Household Waste Characterization Method, MODECOM TM – Manuel de base – Ed. by Ademe Centre d'Angers, Septembre 1993 - Réf 1601 - Coll., “Connaître pour agir”, 64p.
Kolédzi, K.E., Baba, G., Feuillade G., and Matejka G., 2010. Physical Characterization of Urban Waste in Lomé in the Perspective of Decentralized Composting in Neighborhoods. Revue Déchets Sciences et Techniques, 59, 14-22. https://www.scirp.org
Kolédzi, K.E., Matejka, G., Baba G., 2011. Urban Solid Waste Recovery in Lomé (Togo): A Methodological Approach to Sustainable Compost Production. Doctorate thesis N°351 -2011/ from the University of Lomé and the University of Limoges. http://aurore.unilim.fr
Aloueimine, S.O., Matejka, G., Zurbrugg, C., 2006. Methodology for Characterisation of Household waste in Nouakchott (Mauritania). Contribution to Waste Management and Tools for Management Assistance, PhD Thesis N°012-2006/ from the University of Limoges. https://www.ajol.info
Oumar, B., and Sanogo, B., 2021. Characterization of Faladié's household solid waste. European Scientific Journal, ESJ, 17 (39), 77 Doi :10.19044/esj. 2021.v17n39p77
Garcia, A.J., Esteban M.B., Marquez M.C., Ramos P., 2005. Biodegradable Municipal Solid Waste: Characterization and Potential use as Animal Feedstuffs; Waste Management Volume 25, numéro 8, octobre 2005, pages 780-787
Aloueimine, S.O., Matejka, G., Zurbrugg , C., 2006. Methodology for Characterisation of Household waste in Nouakchott (Mauritania): Contribution to Waste Management and Tools for Management Assistance, PhD Thesis N°012-2006/ from the University of Limoges. https://www.theses.fr
Koledzi, E., Baba, G., Feuillade, G., and Matejka, G., 2011. Physical characterization of urban solid waste in Lomé, Togo, with a view to decentralized composting in neighborhoods Déchets Sciences et Techniques DOI :10.4267/dechets-sciences-techniques.2851
Bonnah, M., Baba, G., and Ségbéaya N., 2018. Quantification of Household Solid Waste in the City of Kara and Scenario Management. European Journal of Scientific. Vol. 148 p. 179-187 https://www.europeanjournalofscientificresearch.com
Tezanou, J., Koulidiati, J., Proust, M., 2001. Characterization of Household Waste in the City of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso). Annales de l’Université de Ouagadougou. http://lodel.irevues.inist.fr
Topanou, N., 2012. Household Solid Waste Management in the City of Abomey-Calavi (Benin): Characterization and Composting Recovery Testing. Doctoral Thesis N°025-2012/FDCA/FAST/UAC. https://www.theses.fr
Kondoh, E., Bodjona, M., Aziable, E., Tchegueni, S., Kili, K., and Tchangbedji, G., 2019. Inventory of waste management in Greater Lomé.International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences. 13(4) : 2200-2209.
Koledzi. E., T. Agbebavi,T., Gnon,B., Koffi. D., Matejka. G., 2015. Waste management in developing cities: transfer, adaptation of the scheme and sources of financing Article on the scientific journal Waste Science and Technology - N°68 - November 2014, DOI:10.4267/dechets-sciences-techniques.169.
Berthe, C., Redon, E., Feuillade, G., 2008. Fractionation of the organic matter contained in leachate resulting from two modes of landfilling: An indicator of waste degradation. Journal of Hazardous Materials 154(1-3) :262-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/
Parodi, 2010. Composition of Municipal Solid Waste and Perspective of Decentralized Composting in the Districts of Lomé, Togo. https://www.researchgate.ne
MODECOM. 1993. Method of Characterization of Household Waste. 2nd edition. Paris: ADEME editions, 64 p. https://librairie.ademe.fr
Tiquia, S.M., 2010. Reduction of Compost Phytotoxicity during the Process of Decomposition. Chemosphere 79: 506-512. http://www.elsevier.com/copyright
Parodi A., Feuillade-Cathalifaud, G., Pallier V., Mansour A., 2011. Optimization of municipal solid waste leaching test procedure: Assessment of the part of hydrosoluble organic compounds. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 186, 991-998.
Kondoh, E., Koledzi, E., Bodjona, M., Kili, K., and Tchangbedji, G. ,2021. Survey and Quantification of Household Waste in Tsévié City, Togo. Asian Journal of Chemistry ; Vol. 33, No. 4. https://doi.org/10.14233/ajchem.2021.23024
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Magnoudéwa Bassaï BODJONA, Essowè KONDOH, Sanonka TCHEGUENI, Edem K. KOLEDZI, Koffi Ani KILI, Gado TCHANGBEDJI
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.