Development Tin-Chromium Pillared in Bentonite as Catalyst for Ethanol to Gasoline Conversion
Keywords:Bi-Oxides, Pillared clays, Sn-Cr/Bentonite, Ethanol to Gasoline
Bentonite is a natural material that can used as a buffer catalysts and easy to modified. Tin and Chromium metals can used as catalyst material. Tin and Chromium metals supported into bentonite was successfully prepared by pillarization method, and was calling Bi-Oxides pillared clays. It has used to catalyst for ethanol to gasoline conversion. Basal spacing for bentonite and Sn-Cr/bentonite were 12,83Çº and 25,67Çº respectively. Specific surface area and pore volume of Sn-Cr/bentonite was investigated and appeared be bigger than bentonite. The results confirmed by BET analysis that were 30,35 m2/g become 168,86 m2/g and pore volume from 0,0065cm3/g become 0,03 cm3/g. The thermal stability was determined by Thermogravimetry Analysis from temperature 0ÂºC until 1000ÂºC and the functional group changes detected by Fourier Transform Infra Red. XRF and EDX detected the Sn-Cr metals in the bentonite. The results of the liquid catalyst test analyzed by GC-MS and showed the contents consisted of benzene, toluene, octane, and naphthalene, that were similar with commercial gasoline. So, the Sn and Cr were using as metal pillars for bentonite interlayer and successfully used this Bi-oxides pillared clays for ethanol to gasoline conversion.
ÂKeywordsâ€” Bi-Oxides, Pillared clays, Sn-Cr/Bentonite, Ethanol to Gasoline.
Dan Li, Chunshan Li, Kenzi Suzuki, â€œCatalytic oxidation of VOCs over Al- and Fe-pillared montmorillonite,â€ Applied Clay Science, vol. 77-78, pp. 56-60, 2013.
Alejandro Perez, Mario Montes, Rafael Molina, Sonia Moreno, â€œModified clays as catalysts for the catalytic oxidation of ethanol,â€ Applied Clay Science, vol. 95, pp. 18-24, 2014.
K. Bahranowski, W. WÅ‚odarczyk, E. WisÅ‚a-Walsh, A. GaweÅ‚, J. Matusik, A. Klimek, B. Gil, A. Michalik-Zym, R. Dula, R.P. Socha, E.M. Serwicka, â€œ[Ti,Zr]-pillared montmorillonite â€“ A new quality with respect to Ti- and Zr-pillared clays,â€ Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 202, pp. 155â€“164, 2014.
Molina C.B., Casas J.A., Zazo J.A., Rodriguez J.J., â€œA comparison of Al-Fe and Zr-Fe pillared clays for catalytic wet peroxide oxidation,â€ Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 118, pp. 29-35, 2006.
Farfan-Torres E.M., Sham E., Grange P., â€œPillared Clays: Preparation and Characterization of Zirconium Pillared Montmorillonite,â€ Catalysis Today, vol. 15, pp. 515-526, 1992.
Bartley G.J.J., â€œZirconium Pillared Clays,â€ Catalysis Today, vol. 2, pp. 233-241, 1988.
Francine Bertella, Sibele B.C., Pergher, â€œPillaring of bentonite clay with Al and Co,â€ Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 201, pp. 116-123, 2014.
Bulent Caglar, Osman C., Ersin D., Fatih C., Mustafa C., Cihan T., Ahmet T. â€œCharacterization of AlFe-pillared Unye bentonite: A Study of The Surface Acidity and Catalytic Property,â€ Molecular Structure, vol. 1089, pp. 59-65, 2015.
Carla B. Vidal, AndrÃ© B. dos Santos, Ronaldo F. do Nascimento, Teresa J. Bandosz, â€œReactive adsorption of pharmaceuticals on tin oxide pillared montmorillonite: Effect of visible light exposure,â€ Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 259, pp. 865-875, 2014.
Widjaya R.R., Juwono A.L., Rinaldi N., â€œBentonite modification with pillarization method using metal stannum,â€ in Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Applied Chemistry, AIP Conference Proceedings, Jakarta, Indonesia, pp. 020010-1-20010-8, 2017.
Guifang Wang, Yuyan Hua, Xin Su, Sridhar Komarneni, Shaojian Ma, Yujue Wang, â€œCr(VI) adsorption by montmorillonite nanocomposites,â€ Applied Clay Science, vol. 124-125, pp. 111-118, 2016.
Widjaya R.R., Soegijono B., Rinaldi N., â€œCharacterization of Cr/Bentonit and HZSM-5 Zeolite as Catalysts for Ethanol Conversion to Biogasoline,â€ Makara Journal of Science, vol. 16/1, pp. 65-70, 2012.
Roger Johansson, Sarah L. Hruby, Jeppe Rass-Hansen, Claus H. Christensen, â€œThe Hydrocarbon Pool in Ethanol-to-Gasoline over HZSM-5 Catalysts,â€ Catal Lett, vol. 127, pp. 1â€“6, 2008.
Menglin Ding, Shufeng Zuo, Chenze Qi, â€œPreparation and characterization of novel composite Al/Cr-pillared clays and preliminary investigation for benzene adsorption,â€ Applied Clay Science, vol. 115, pp. 9-16, 2015.
Priambodo N.G., â€œPemurnian Minyak Nilam Menggunakan Bentonit Teraktivasi Asam Klorida,â€ Bachelor Thesis. Fakultas Sains dan Teknologi, UIN Sunan Kalijaga, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2014.
Widihati I.A.G., â€œAdsorpsi anion Cr(VI) oleh batu pasir teraktivasi asam dan tersalut Fe2O3,â€ Jurnal Kimia, vol. 2(1), pp. 25-30, 2008.
M.E. Gyftopoulou, M. Millan, A.V. Bridgwater, D. Dugwell, R. Kandiyoti, J.A. Hriljac, â€œPillared clays as catalysts for hydrocracking of heavy liquid fuels,â€ Applied Catalysis A, vol. 282, pp. 205-214, 2005.
M. Sowmiya, Aditya Sharma, Sarang Parsodkar, B.G. Mishra, Amit Dubey, â€œNanosized sulfated SnO2 dispersed in the micropores of Al-pillared clay as an efficient catalyst for the synthesis of some biologically important molecules,â€ Applied Catalysis A: General, vol. 333, pp. 272â€“280, 2007.
Is Fatimah, Narsito, Karna Wijaya, â€œEffect of Aluminium Content in Aluminium Pillared Montmorillonite on Its Surface Acidity Properties,â€ ITB Journal Science, vol. 43, pp. 123-138, 2011.
Yan Gao, Wenjie Li, Huimin Sun, Zaihang Zheng, Xuejun Cui, Hongyan Wang, Fanyu Meng, â€œA facile in situ pillaring methodâ€”the synthesis of Al-pillared montmorillonite,â€ Applied Clay Science, vol. 88-89, pp. 228-232, 2013.
Nisar Ahmad, Syed Tajammul Hussain, Bakhtiar Muhammad, Nisar Ali, Syed Mustansar Abbas, Zulfiqar Ali, â€œZr-pillared montmorillonite supported cobalt nanoparticles for Fischerâ€“Tropsch synthesis,â€ Progress in Natural Science : Material International, vol. 23(4), pp. 374â€“381, 2013.
Takashi Tsuchida, Tetsuya Yoshioka, Shuji Sakuma, Tatsuya Takeguchi, and Wataru Ueda, â€œSynthesis of Biogasoline from Ethanol over Hydroxyapatite Catalyst,â€ American Chemical Society, vol. 10, pp. 10.1021, 2008.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.