Solution of Elastic Half Space Problem using Boussinesq Displacement Potential Functions
Keywords:Boussinesq displacement potential functions, elastic half space problem, Boussinesq problem, stress fields, displacement fields
AbstractIn this study, the Boussinesq displacement potential functions were used to solve the elastic half space problem involving a point load acting at the origin.Displacement field components were obtained from the Boussinesq potential functions using Love's expressions. Strin displacement and stress-strain laws were used simultaneously to obtain the stress fields from the displacement fields. It was found that solutions for stress and displacement fields were exactly the same expressions obtained by other researchers in the technical literature.
Nwoji C.U., Onah H.N., Mama B.O. and Ike C.C. Solution of the Boussinesq problem of half space using Green and Zerna displacement potential function method. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering (EJGE), 2017, Volume 22, Bundle 11 (22.11) pp. 4305-4314. Available at ejge.com
Ike C.C. First principles derivation of a stress function for axially symmetric elasticity problems, and application to Boussinesq problem. Nigerian Journal of Technology (NIJOTECH), Vol. 36, No.3, July 2017, pp. 767-772.
Ike C.C., Onah H.N. and Nwoji C.U. Bessel functions for axisymmetric elasticity problems of the elastic half space soil, a potential function method. Nigerian Journal of Technology (NIJOTECH), Vol. 36, No.3, July 2017, pp. 773-781.
Ike C.C., Mama B.O., Onah H.N. and Nwoji C.U. Trefftz harmonic function method for solving Boussinesq problem. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering (EJGE) 2017 (22.12), pp. 4589-4601. Available at ejge.com
Boussinesq J. Application des potentials a lâ€™etude de lâ€™equilibre et des mouvements des solides elastiques. Paris, Ganther-Villars, 1885.
Barber J.R. Elasticity, 3rd Revised Edition. Springer Science and Business Media Dordrecht the Netherlands, 2010.
Kachanov M.L., Shafiro B. and Tsukrov I. Handbook of Elasticity Solutions. Springer Science and Business Media. Kluwer Academic Publishers Dordrencht The Netherlands, 2003.
Sadd M.H. Elasticity Theory, Application and Numerics. University of Rhode Island Elsevier https://personalegr.uri.edu/teggart/course/ce571/chapter7.pptx.
Sithram T.G. and Govinda Reju L. Applied Elasicity for Engineers Module Elastic Solutions and Applications in Geomechanics 126.96.36.199/nptel/1/CSE/web/105108070/modulue 8/lecture 17.pdf
Palaniappan D. A general solution of equations of equilibrium in linear elasticity. Applied Mathematical modelling, 35 (2011) pp. 5494-5499, Elsevier.
Westergaard H.M. Theory of Elasticity and Plasticity. Wiley New York, 1952.
Sokolnikoff I.S. Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, Second Edition. Data McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd, Bombay New Delhi, 1956.
Timoshenko S.P. and Goodier J.N. Theory of Elasticity, Third Edition, McGraw Hill New York, 1970
Hazel A. MATH 350211 Elasticity. www.maths.manchester.acuk/_a hazel/MATHS. Nov 30, 2015.
Abeyartne R. Continuum Mechanics Volume II of Lecture notes on the mechanics of elastic solids, Cambridge http//web.mit.edu/abeyartne/lecture_notes.html. 11, May, 2012.
Green A.E. and Zerna W. Theoretical Elasticity. Oxford University Press, London, 1954.
Trefftz E. Mathematische Elastizitate theorie in Handbuch der Physik, Ed VI, Berlin, Springer, 1928.
Love A.E.H. Mathematical theory of elasticity, 4th Edition, Dover Publications Inc. New York, 1944.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.