Participatory Mapping Implementation in Capacity Building of Urban Fire Risk
Keywords:Ampel, capacity building, urban fire, community, participatory mapping
AbstractAmpel is a socio-cultural strategic area of Surabaya with its dense population characteristic. Therefore, it is also has a high urban fire risk. Risk is contrary toward community capacity in disaster term, so urban fire risk level can be decreased by increasing the community capacity. Capacity building requires synergistic cooperation of community, so that participatory mapping is the right approach because it involves the community to solve the problem themselves actively. The goal of this article is to describe the increasing of community capacity who lived in the high level fire risk area with its case study in Ampel area, Surabaya. The analytical process is using questionnaire and focus group discussion with participatory mapping method. The result shows the increase of community capacity by identifying indicators, there are understanding, awareness, and preparedness. Understanding indicator is assessed by calculating questionnaire with result of increasing understanding score from 60 to 85 between the period three months knowledge transfer process. Awareness and preparedness were assessed through an observation of community behavior. Awareness indicator emerges from community participation in participatory mapping activity. Preparedness generates urban fire mitigation strategies and community preparedness.
BNPB Republik Indonesia, Peraturan Kepala BNPB No.4 Tahun 2008 tentang Pedoman Penyusunan Rencana Penanggulangan Bencana, BNPB RI, Jakarta, 2008.
Bulmer, M., Questionnaires, 1st edition, Sage Benchmarks in Social Science Research Methods, Sage Publications, London, 2004.
Carter, W. Nick, Disaster Management: a Disaster Managerâ€™s Handbook, Asian Development Bank, Philippines, 1991.
Direktorat Jenderal Cipta Karya, Meningkatkan Kapasitas Masyarakat, Modul Khusus Fasilitator, PNPM Mandiri dan Departemen Pekerjaan Umum, Jakarta.
Handayani et al, Pemanfaatan Analisis Spasial untuk Pengolahan Data Spasial Sistem Informasi Geografi, Journal of Teknologi Informasi DINAMIK Vol. X, No.2 Mei 2005, 2005.
Harjadi et al, Panduan Pengenalan Karakteristik Bencana dan Upaya Mitigasinya di Indonesia, Bakornas PB, Jakarta, 2005.
Miladan, Nur, Kajian Kerentanan Wilayah Pesisir Kota Semarang terhadap Perubahan Iklim, Universitas Diponegoro, Semarang, 2009.
Nugroho, Riant, Public Policy (Dinamika Kebijakan, Analisis Kebijakan, Manajemen Kebijakan), 3rd Edition of 2011 Revised, Penerbit PT. Elex Media Komputindo, Jakarta, 2011.
Pamungkas, Adjie, Modul Ajar Pengembangan Masyarakat, ITS, Surabaya, 2004.
Pamungkas et al, Evaluasi Proses Pendampingan dalam Meningkatkan Kapasitas Daerah Mengenai Gas Rumah Kaca dan Upaya Mitigasi, Presented on CITIES National Conference 2014, ITS, Surabaya, 2014.
Surabayaâ€™s City Government, Peraturan Daerah Kota Surabaya No. 5 tahun 2005 tentang Pelestarian Bangunan dan/atau Lingkungan Cagar Budaya, DPRD Kota Surabaya, Surabaya, 2005.
Surabayaâ€™s City Government, Rencana Pembangunan Jangka Menengah Daerah (RPJMD) Kota Surabaya 2010-2015, DPRD Kota Surabaya, Surabaya, 2010.
Surabayaâ€™s City Government, Peraturan Daerah Kota Surabaya No. 12 tahun 2014 tentang Rencana Tata Ruang Wilayah Kota Surabaya 2014-2034, DPRD Kota Surabaya, Surabaya, 2014.
Priambodo, S. Arie, Panduan Praktis Menghadapi Bencana, Kanasius, Yogyakarta, 2009.
Republic of Indonesia, Undang-Undang No. 24 Tahun 2007 tentang Penanggulangan Bencana, DPR RI, Jakarta, 2007
Robinson, Nicola, â€œThe Use of Focus Group Methodology â€“ with Selected Examples from Sexual Health Research, Journal of Advanced Nursingâ€, 29(4), p.905-913, 1999.
Sutoyo, â€œAlternatif Pendidikan dalam Program Pemberdayaan Masyarakatâ€, Presented on Teaching Vulnerable Youth in Unconventional Settings Conference, World Education, Jakarta, 2012.
United Nations Development Planning (UNDP), Capacity Development Practice Notice, 2006.
Vanaspongse, Chitraporn et al, translated by Astri Arini Waluyo, Pedoman Pelatihan: Pengurangan Risiko Bencana yang Dimotori oleh Anak-anak di Sekolah dan Komunitas, Save The Children Swedia, Bangkok, 2007.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.