Strengthening of Tapered Beam using CFRP
Keywords:building, earthquake, tapered beam, strengthening
Tapered beam is a type of prismatic beam that has different dimension at the end of the beam and the mid-span. End of tapered beam has a larger dimension than the middle span. Tapered beams serve as Intermediate Moment Resisting Frame System (SRPMM) in reinforced concrete building that is one of the structural methods to resist forces caused by the earthquake load for intermediate seismic risk category. The purpose of this research was to improve the nominal shear strength of existing tapered beam in the X building using CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer). The X Building is an office building that has 14 floors and tapered beams as moment resisting frame system. Tapered beams located on the 3rd floor and serves to support transfer columns that support 9 floors above. Tapered beams structure in X Building has dimensions of 120x210-180 cm. Tapered beamâ€™s structural strength must be considered, especially the shear force prediction from seismic loads threats that might come. The building structure modeling was designed and analyzed using ETABS program. Given design seismic loading is in the form of spectrum response of dynamic seismic load procedure. Structural analysis results shows the maximum shear force factored value on the tapered beam is greater than the value of nominal shear strength. Recommended strengthening is the installation of CFRP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer) layers. Analysis of tapered beam structure strengthening used ACI 440.2R-08 method.
American Concrete Institute (ACI). ACI 440.2R-08. Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures, ACI, USA, 1998.
Asrurifak, M., Irsyam,M., Hutapea, B.M., Ridwan, M., Pramatatya, A.V. dan Dharmawansyah, D, Pengembangan peta klasifikasi tanah dan kedalaman batuan dasar untuk menunjang pembuatan peta mikrozonasi Jakarta dengan menggunakan mikrotremor array, HATTI Conference 17th Annual Scientific Meeting, At Jakarta, 13-14 November 2013, vol.PIT-XVII 2013, pp. 67-72, 2013.
Badan Standardisasi Nasional (BSN). SNI 03-2847-2013 Persyaratan Beton Struktural untuk Bangunan Gedung, BSN, ID, 2013.
Badan Standardisasi Nasional (BSN). SNI 03-1726-2012 Tata Cara Perencanaan Ketahanan Gempa untuk Bangunan Gedung, BSN, ID, 2012.
Budiono B, Supriatna L. Studi Komparasi Desain Bangunan Tahan Gempa dengan Menggunakan SNI 03-1726-2002 dan RSNI 03-1726-201X, ITB Press, ID, 2011.
Christiawan I, Triwiyono A, Christady H, Evaluasi kinerja dan perkuatan struktur gedung guna alih fungsi bangunan. Studi kasus: perubahan fungsi ruang kelas menjadi ruang perpustakaan pada lantai II gedung G Universitas Semarang. Journal Forum Teknik Sipil. vol. 1, no.18 pp.725-738, 2008.
Departemen Pekerjaan Umum (DPU), Pedoman Perencanaan Pembebanan untuk Rumah dan Gedung, DPU, ID, 1987.
El-Sayed AK, Effect of longitudinal CFRP strengthening on the shear resistance of reinforced concrete beams. Journal Composites part b 58. vol.- no.-, pp.422-429. 2013, doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.10.061.
Raju A, Mathew LA, Strengthening of RC Beams Using FRP, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), vol. 2, no.1, pp. 1-6, 2013.
Yalciner H, Sensoy S, Eren O. Seismic performance assessment of a corroded 50-year-old reinforced concrete building. Journal of Structural Engineering, vol.-, no.-, pp.1-11, 2015, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.000126.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.