Comparative Study of Leuco Dyes as Reagents for Spectrophotometric Determination of Arsenic (â…¢)
Keywords:arsenic(â…¢), leuco dyes, iodine, spectrophotometry
In this paper spectrophotometric determination arsenic (III) is described. The method is based on the two step reaction. First step is arsenic (â…¢) and iodate reaction in the acid medium of pH=1.1. In this step, iodine is liberated proportionally according to the amounts of arsenic (â…¢). Next step is the reaction of liberated iodine with leuco dyes in pH= 4-5. In this work, the leuco dyes was comparatively studied. The employed leuco dyes are malachite green (LMG), leuco crystal violet (LCV) and leuco berberin blue â… (LBB). The oxidized leuco dyes was determined by spectrophotometry. Beerâ€™s law is obeyed in the range of 0.1-0.1Î¼g mL-1 as arsenic. The molar coefficient for arsenic (â…¢) was around 4Ã—104 l mol-1 cm-1 with each leuco dyes. In these leuco dyes, LBB was suitable as reagent because not influenced temperature, concentration of iodate and LBB, and rapid reaction time.
Mandal BK, Suzuki KT, â€œArsenic round the world: a reviewâ€, Talanta, vol. 58, pp. 201-215, 2002.
Morita K, Kaneko E, â€œSpectrophotometric determination of arsenic in water samples based on micro particles formation of ethyl violet-molybdoarsenatâ€, Anal Sci, vol. 22, pp.1085-1089, 2006.
Dasgupta PK, Huiliang HL, Zhang GF, Cobb GP, â€œPhotometric measurement of trace As(â…¢) and As(â…¤) in drinking waterâ€, Talanta, vol. 58, pp.153-164, 2002.
Ferrerira MA, Barros AA, â€œDetermination of As(â…¢) and Arsenic(â…¤) in natural waters by cathodic stripping voltammetry at a hanging mercury drop electrodeâ€, Anal Chim Acta, vol. 459, pp.151-159, 2002.
Kopanicia M, Novotny L, â€œDetermination of traces of arsenic(â…¢) by anoidic stripping voltammetry in solutions, natural waters and biological materialsâ€, Anal Chim Acta, vol. 368, pp. 211-218, 1998.
Bundelaska JM, Stafilov T, Appadjian S, â€œDirect analysis of natural waters for arsenic species by hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometryâ€, Int J Environ Anal Chem, vol.85, pp. 199-207, 2005.
Heitkemper DT, Vela NP, Stewart KR, Westphal CS, â€œDetermination of total and speciated arsenic in rice by ion chromatography and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometryâ€, J Anal At Spectrom, vol. 16, pp.299-306, 2001.
Boadu M, Osae EK, Golow AA., Serfor-Armah Y, Nyarko BJB, â€œDetermination of arsenic in some water bodies, untreated ore and tailing samples at Konnongo in Ashanti region of Ghana and its surrounding town and villages by instrumental neutron activation analysisâ€, J Radioanal Nucl Chem, vol. 249, pp.581-585, 2001.
Gupta VK, Agarwal S, â€œPVC based 5,10,15,20-tetrakis (4-methoxyphenyl) porphyrinatocobalt(â…¡) membrane potentiometric sensor for arseniteâ€, Talanta, vol. 65, pp.730-734, 2005.
Gomez MM, Kovecs M, Palacios MA, Pizarro I, Camara C, â€œEffect of the mineralization method on arsenic determination in marine organisms by hydride generation atomic fluorescence spectroscopyâ€, Microchim Acta vol.150, 9-14, 2005.
Abdolmohammad-Zahen H, Jouyban A, Amini R, â€œUltratrace determination of arsenic in water samples by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry after pre-concentration with Mg-Al-Fe ternary layered double hydroxide nano-sorbentâ€, Talanta, vol. 116, pp. 604-610, 2013.
Karayunlu S, Ay U, â€œSpectrophotometric determination of total inorganic arsenic with hexamethylene ammonium-hexamethylenedithiocarbamate in nonionic triton X-100 micellar mediaâ€, J Anal Chem, vol. 65, pp. 244-248, 2010.
Deepa K, Lingappa Y, â€œA simple spectrophotometric method for the determination of arsenic in industrial and environmental samples using 2,4-dihydroxy benzophenone-2-amino thiophenolâ€, Spectrochim.Acta, Part A, vol. 124, pp.102-107, 2014.
Cherian T, Narayama B, â€œA new spectrophotometric method for the determination of arsenic in environmental and biological samplesâ€, Anal Lett, vol. 38, pp.2207-2216, 2005.
Yuji S, Kato T, Nukatsuka I, Ohzeki K, â€œSpectrophotometric determination of arsenic(â…¢) based on solid phase extraction of the arsenic-APDC complex and the conversion to the copper complexâ€, Bunseki Kagaku, vol.52, pp. 1153-1158, 2003.
Pasha C, Narayana B, â€œDetermination of arsenic in environmental and biological samples using toluidine blue or safranine O by simple spectrophotometric methodâ€, Bull Environ Contam Toxico, vol. l 81, pp. 47-51, 2008.
Revanasiddappa HD, Dayananda BP, Kumar TNK, â€œA sensitive spectrophotometric method for the determination of arsenic in environmental samplesâ€, Environ Chem Lett, vol. 5, pp.151-155, 2007.
Pillai A, Sunita G, Gupta VK, â€œA new system for the spectrophotometric determination of arsenic in environmental and biological samplesâ€, Anal Chim Acta, vol. 408, pp.111-115, 2000.
Agrawal O, Sunita G, Gupta VK, â€œA sensitive colorimetric method for the determination of arsenic in environmental and biological samplesâ€, J Chin Chem Soc, vol. 46, 641-645,1999.
Karayannis MI, Tzouwara-Karayanni SM, Hadjiioannou TP, â€œKinetic study and analytical application of the iodate-arsenite reaction in strongly acidic solutionsâ€, Anal Chim Acta, vol. 70, pp. 351-357, 1974.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.