The Effect of the Aqueous Extract of <i>Telfairia occidentalis</i> (Pumpkin) Leaf on the Haematological Parameters of Albino Rats
Keywords:Telfairia occidentalis, Albino rats, Haematological, Extract
The effects of the aqueous extract of Telfairia Occidentalis leaves on the haematological parameters of Albino rats were investigated. A total of 36 rats were used for the study which lasted for eight weeks. The rats were shared into three treatments (A B C) with three replicates per treatment. Each treatment had 12 rats and four rats per replicate. Group A was the control and were given only distil water. Those in group B were administered with 2.0ml extract per day while those in group C were given 4.0ml extract per day for up to eight weeks of the study. Results revealed that there were significant differences (P<0.05) in haematological parameters of rats administered with the extract when compared with the control. There was also a decrease in glucose level of experimental rats when compared with that of the control.
â€¢ Abu-sharka M.N. (1994). Cases of hypoglycaemia in rats. Clin. Exp. Pharm. 12: 19-25.
â€¢ Alada ARA (2000). The haematological effect of Telfairia occidentalis diet preparation. Afr. J. Biomed. Res.3(3): 185-189.
â€¢ Apata DF and Babalola TO (2012). The use of cassava, sweet potatoe and cocoyam and their by-products by non-ruminants.
â€¢ Fasuyi A.O. and Nonyerrem A.D. (2007). Biochemical, Nutritional and Haematological implication of Telfairia Occidentalis leaf meal as Protein Supplement broiler diets. Afri. J. Biotech 6(8): 1055-1068.
â€¢ Ganong W.F. (2005). A review of Medical Physiology PP 496.499.
â€¢ Gbile Z.O. (1986). Ethnobotany, taxonomy and conservation of medicine plant Research in Nigeria PP 19-25.
â€¢ Hamlin and Latunde-Dada (2011) Nutrition and Metabolism. http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/8/1/9
â€¢ Idris S (2011). Compositional studies of Telfairia occidentalis leaves. American Journal of Chemistry. 1(2) 56-59.
â€¢ Kayode AAA and Kayode OT (2010). Some medicinal values of Telfairia occidentalis. American Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. ISSN 2150-4210.
â€¢ Olajide M. (1999). Evaluation of the anti-diabetic property of Moniga Lucida leaves in Streptozocin-diabetic rats. J. Pharmacol. 16: 25-29.
â€¢ Olaniyan M.F. (2005). A study of the effect of Pumpkin (Telfairia Occidentalis) milk and raw egg mixture in the treatment of anaemic pregnant women in rural area. Afric. J. Trial CAM 2(3): 269-273.
â€¢ Oboh G and Akidahunsi A.O. ( 2005). Hepato-protective Property of ethanolic and aqueous extract of fluted Pumpkin leaves against garlic-induced oxidative stress. J. Med. Food, 8: 563-569.
â€¢ Oyeyemi MO, Leigh OO, Ajala OO, Badejo AO and Emikpe BO (2008). The effects of the aqueous extract of â€œuguâ€ (Telfairia occidentalis) leaves on the testis and spermatozoa characteristics in the male albino rat. Folia veterinaria, 52(2) 102-105.
â€¢ Saliu JA, Elekofehinti OO, Komolafe K and Oboh G (2012). Effect of some green leafy vegetables on the haematological parameters of diebatic rats. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour. 2(4): 482-485.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.