Somatic Embryogenesis of Oil Palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) for Synthetic Seed Production
Keywords:Somatic embryogenesis, oil palm, synthetic seed
Somatic embryogenesis of oil palm in liquid medium has been developed since 1999 by Touchet et al. However, synthetic seed production of oil palm has not been performed. Synthetic seed is useful for long time storage and low cost delivery to far away plantation. In the present study, methods from somatic embryogenesis up to synthetic seed production were performed. Friable embryogenic callus was induced, embr yogenic cell suspension was initiated, development and maturation of somatic embryo were conducted. The maturation of somatic embryos were performed in two step. First step was inducing the accumulation of storage protein by arginine and glutamine. Second step was inducing dessication tolerance by Abscisic acid. After the somatic embryos maturing, they were dessicated for 2 hours on sterilized filter paper. Then, dessicated somatic embryo were mixed in 3% alginate solution and dropped one by one to 100 mM CaCl2 solution to form beads of synthetic seeds. The synthetic seeds were then germinated on germination medium containing gibberelic acid. The synthetic seeds germinated after one month on germination media and on sterilized soil.
Aberlenc-Bertossi, F, Noirot M and Duval Y. 1999. BA enhances the germination of oil palm somatic embryos derived from embryogenic suspension cultures. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 56:53-57
Choi, Y.E. and Jeong, J.H. 2002. Dormancy induction of somatic embryo of Siberian Ginseng by high sucrose concentrations enhances the conservation of hydrated artificial seeds abd dehydration resistance. Plant Cell Rep. 20: 1112-1116
Filho, J.C.B and Hattori, K. 1997. Embryogenic callus formation histological studies from Stevia reboudiana (Bert.) Bertoni floret explants. R Bras Fisiol.Veg. 9 (3):185-188
Fitriani, N. 2002. Perkembangan embrio somatik dari kotiledon kacang hijau (Vigna radiata (L) Wilczek). Tesis Pascasarjana ITB. Bandung.
Fujii J A A., Slade D., Aguirre-Rascon J. and Redenbaugh K. 1992. Field Planting of Alfalfa Artificial seeds. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 28P:73-80
Gray D J, Purohit A. 1991. Somatic embryogenesis and development of synthetic seed technology. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 10(1): 33-61.
Gupta P.K., Timmis R., Carlson W., Timmis K, Grob J., Welty E and C. Carpenter. 2000.
Advances in conifer tree improvement through somatic embryogenesis. In Challenges of plant and agriculture sciences to the crisis of biosphere on earth in the 21st century. Watanabe K., & Komamine A (eds.). Landes Bioscience publ. P. 303.
Gupta, P.K., Timmis R., and W. Carlson. 2003. Abstract of Congress on In Vitro Biology. Oregon. P. 14A
Hartmann H.T., Kester D.E., Davies Jr. F.T. and Geneve R.L. 1997. Plant Propagation, Principles and Practices. Sixth edition. Prentice Hall, New Jersey. 130-134
Jayanthi M, Mandal P K. 2001. Plant regeneration through somatic embryogenesis and RAPD analysis pf regenerated plants in Tylophora indica (Burm.f.Merrill.) In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant. 37:576-580
Komamine, Atsushi. 2003. My Way with Plant Cell Cultures : Significance of
Experimental Systems in Plant Biology. In Vitro Plant. Vol 39(2) : 63-73. Kreuger, Marc. 1996. Induction of plant somatic embryogenesis in liquid medium. Den Haag.
Mariani T S, Miyake H and Takeoka Y. 1998. Changes in surface structure during direct somatic embryogenesis in rice scutellum observed by scanning electron microscopy. Plant Production Science 1(3): 223-231
Mariani T S., Miyake H., and Takeoka Y. 2000. Improvement of Direct Somatic Embryogenesis in Rice by Selecting the Optimal Developmental Stage of Explant and Applying Desiccation Treatment. Plant Production Science. 3 (2): 114-123
Mariani, T.S., Miyake, H. and Y. Takeoka. 2002. Direct Somatic Embryogenesis in Rice (Oryza sativa L.) : Structural and Developmental patterns. Jurnal Matematika dan Sains. 7(2): 53-56
McKersie, B.D. 1995. Somatic embryogenesis in alfalfa. A model for the development of dry artificial seed technology. IN Seed Development and Germination. J. Kigel and G Galili (eds). Marcel Dekker, NY. Chap. 31: pp. 833-846.
Noerhadi, E. 1988. Embryogenesis somatik sebagai alternatif untuk produksi pengadaan tanaman. Seminar Bioteknologi Tanaman. Jakarta. p.4
Nurwendah, I. 2002. Pengamatan struktur permukaan embrio somatik selama embriogenesis somatik pada bawang putih (Allium sativum L. cv. Lumbu Hijau) dengan scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Skripsi Sarjana ITB. Bandung. Osmotek Ltd. 2002. CD-ROM.
Osuga, K and Komamine , A. 1994. Synchronization of somatic embryogenesis from carrot cells at high frequency as a basis for the mass production of embryos. Plant Cell Tissue Org. Culture. 39. 125-135
Puspitawati, R.P. 1997. Embriogenesis pada kacang hijau (Vigna radiata) varietas wallet. Tesis Sarjana ITB. Bandung.
Ramayanti, O. 2003. Pengaruh metil jasmonat pada embriogenesis somatik Lithospermum erythrorhizon Siebb. Et Zucc. Skripsi. Departemen Biologi. Fakultas Matematika dan Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam. Institut Teknologi Bandung.
Redenbaugh K, Slade D, Viss P and Fujji J A. 1987. Encapsulation of somatic embryos in synthetic seed coats. Hortscience 22(5): 803-809
Tahardi, J.S. Parwono, T.W., Siswanto, Santoso, D and Naatmadja R. (ed.). 1997. Somatic embryogenesis from cell suspension culture of oil palm. Proc. Of the BITG Workshop on oil palm Improvement through Biotechnology. Bogor
Teixeira J B, Sondahl M R & Kirby E G. 1993. Somatic embryogenesis from immature zygotic embryos of oil palm. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 34: 227-233
Teixeira J B., Sondahl M R., Nakamura T., & Kirby E G. 1995. Establishment of oil palm cell suspensions and plant regeneration. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 40:405-411
Tokuhara, K, Mii M. 2001. Induction of embryogenic callus and cell suspension culture from shoot tips excised from flower stalk buds of Phalaenopsis (Orchidaceae). In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant 37:457-461.
Tonon G., Berardi G., Rossi C., Bagnaresi U. 2001. Synchronized Somatic Embryo Development in Embryogenic suspensions of Fraxinus angustifolia. In Vitro Plant. Vol 37(4) : 46 2-465
Touchet (de) B, Duval Y and Pannerier C. 1991. Plant regeneration from embryogenic suspension cultures of oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq). Plant Cell Report. 10: 529-532
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.