Tablet Formulation of The Ethyl Acetate Soluble Extract of Soursop (Annona muricata L.) Leaves
Keywords:ethyl acetate fraction of the leaves of soursop, Annona muricata L., antioxidant activity, adjuvant anticancer therapy, tablets.
Tablet dosage formulations of the soursop extract containing acetogenins active substances were prepared for adjuvant cancer therapy.This study consisted of the preparation of the extracts and cytotoxic activity evaluation, followed by the tablet formulation. Detection of the acetogenin constituents was judged by LCMS, and the cytotoxicity assays were performed using BSLT, and the MTT assays. BSLT test using larvae shrimp (Artemia salina Leach) aged 48 hours and MTT was performed at the Center for Primate Studies, Institute for Research and Community Service Institute of Agriculture (IPB), Bogor, Indonesia. The antioxidant activity and the stability evaluation of the formula were also observed. LCMS test soursop leaf ethyl acetate fraction showed a wide acetogenin obtained. Initial screening toxicity test with BSLT showed cytotoxic response of highly toxic ethyl acetate fraction with LC50 = 12.188 ppm, whereas in vitro by MTT assay test showed IC50 = 815.922 ppm. IC50 determination of antioxidant activity by DPPH IC50 results soursop leaf ethyl acetate fraction 94.169 ppm. Tablet F1 - F4 with a dose of 1-20 mg produced tablets with good quality test. Stability test was referring to the determination of total acetogenin which is also a marker compounds by spectrophotometric method and calculated Arrhenius equation shows that the age of the tablet product was 2.06 years. Tablets containing acetogenins of soursop leaves ethyl acetate-soluble fraction can be prepared by wet granulation and expected to have benefit for traditional cancer adjuvant therapy.
Kim, Geum soog, Zeng, L et al. â€œTwo New Mono-Tetrahydrofuran Ring Cetogenins, Annomuricin E and Muricapentocin, from the Leaves of Annona muricataâ€, 1997.
Bermejo,A., Figad`ere,B., Maria-Carmen Zafra-Polo, Barrachina, I., Estornell, E., and Cortes, D., â€œAcetogenins from Annonaceae: recent progress in isolation, synthesis and mechanisms of actionâ€, pp 270-303, 2005.
Alali, Q Feras, Liu, Xiao-Xi, and McLaughlin, Jerry L, â€œAnnonaceoues Acetogenins: Recent Progressâ€. In J. Nat. Prod., 62, pp 504-540, 1999.
Pomper, K.W, Lowe, D.J, Crabtree, B.S and Keller, William, â€œIdentification of Annonaceous Acetogenins in the Ripe Fruit of the North American Pawpaw (Asimina triloba)â€. In J.Agric.Food Chem, 57, pp 8339-8343, 2009.
Ansel, C. Howard, â€œIntroduction to Pharmaceutical Dosage Formsâ€, Fourth Edition, Translation Farida Ibrahim, UI Press (in Indonesian Language), Jakarta, Indonesia, 1989.
Voight, R, â€œTextbook Pharmaceutical Technologyâ€, 2nd ed., Interpreter: Soendani, Gadjah Mada University Press, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 1995.
Li,Yu De, Yu Guang Jing, Luo Zhen Xiu, Sun Lan and Yang Lin Shi, â€œMuricatenol, a Linier Acetogenin from Annona muricata (Annonaceae)â€. Chinese Chemical Letter Vol. II, No.3, pp 239-242, 2000.
Spurr, I.B and Brown, Richard C. D, â€œTotal Synthesis of Annonaceous Acetogenins Belonging to the Non-Adjacent Bis-THF and Non-Adjacent THF-THP Sub-Classesâ€. Journal of Molecules, 15, pp 460-501, 2010.
Swari, S.R, Abstract : â€œDetermination of content of annonaceous acetogenin on soursop leaves using spectrophotometric method of lactone groupâ€, University of Indonesia, Indonesia, 2012.
Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia, â€œMateria Medika Indonesiaâ€, 5nd ed. (in Indonesian Language). Jakarta, Indonesia, pp 41â€“45, 1989
Mc Laughlin, Jerry, and Rogers L., Lingling, â€œThe Use of Biological Assays to Evaluate Botanicalsâ€, Drugs Information Journal, Vol. 32, pp 513-524, 1998.
Gerlier D, Thomasset N, â€œUse of MTT Colorimetric Assay to Measure Cell Activationâ€, Journal of Imunological Methods, 95: pp 589-601, 1986.
Cos, P. Calomme, et al, â€œCytotoxicity and lipid peroxidation inhibiting activity of flavonoids, Planta Medicaâ€, 67, pp 515â€“519, 2001.
Dictionary of Natural Product (Software) 2005.
Saw, H.M, Diego, C., Alain, L., Reynald, H., Michel, L., Andre, C., Jacqueline, C., and Anne, M.Q., â€œSolamin, A Cytotoxic Mono-tetrahydrofuranic y-Lactone Acetogenin from Annona muricata seedsâ€, Phytochemistry, Vol. 30, No. 10, pp 3335-3338, 1991.
Yen, GC, â€œAntioxidant activity of various tea extracts in relation to their antimutagenicityâ€, Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 43, pp 27â€“32, 1995.
Armala, MM, â€œPower Antioxidant Herbal Extracts Water Fraction Kenikir (Cosmos caudatus HBK) and TLC Profileâ€, (Skripsi,in Indonesian Language), Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Islam Indonesia, Yogyakarta, pp 39, 2009.
Kim, Geum-song, Zeng, L, Alali, and Jerry, L.M, â€œMuricoreacin and Murihexocin C, Monotetrahydrofuran Acetogenins, From The Leaves of Annonamuricataâ€. Phytochemistry, vol. 49 No.2, pp 565-571, 1998.
Meyer, Ferrigni, Putnam, Jacobsen, Nichols, Mc. Laughlin. â€œBrine Shrimp: A Convenient General Bioassay for Active Lant Constituentsâ€, Plant Medica, Vol 45, 1982.
Siregar, C, â€œPharmaceutical preparations tablet technology, Practical Basicsâ€ (in Indonesian Language), pp 129-153, 163, 515, 2010.
Zeng, L, Feng-E Wu, Zhe-ming Gu, and McLaughlin, Jerry L, â€œMurihexocins A and b, two Novel Mono-THF Acetogenins with six hydroxyls, from Annona muricata (Annonaceae)â€. Tetrahedron Letters, Vol. 36, No. 30, pp 5291, 1995.
Mc Laughlin, Jerry, â€œPaw Paw and Cancer : Annonaceous Acetogenins from Discovery to Commercial Productsâ€. In J.Nat.Prod. 17, pp 1311-1321, 2008.
Syamsudin, â€œBioassay techniques for the development of natural medicineâ€ (in Indonesian Language , pp 31 â€“ 48, 2012
Zuhud Efrizal, A.M, â€œEvidence crushing awesomeness soursop cancerâ€ (in Indonesian Language), 2011.
Rahima, E, â€œCancer cure with soursop leafâ€ (in Indonesian Language), 2011.
Khafidudin, â€Delicious Dessert Develop Killer Cells Cancer: Sherbet Soursopâ€ (in Indonesian Language), 2011.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.