Application of Edible Coating Bases Extract of Lindur (Bruguiera gymnorrhiza) and Chitosan on Peeled Off Shrimp
Keywords:edible coatings, LINDUR (Bruguiera gymnorrhiza), chitosan, peeled off shrimp
Shrimp, one of fishery product commodities has been processedÂ in dried and freezed in the forms of whole fresh, head-off tail on and peeled off. Peeled off shrimp is usually sold at supermarkets and displayed at an air conditioned equipped with lights. This condition causes the temperature of display room increase more than 10Â°C from its initial temperature (-1.6Â°C), therefore the products presented will suffer a quality degradation. Edible coating can be applied as a packaging to protect shrimps from any damage during storage, to extend the storage period and maintain productsâ€™ quality. Besides chitosan, the extract of fruit of lindur plant (that belongs to mangrove group) is suggested as have preservative and antimicrobial activities. In the present study, edible coating was formulated using a combination of chitosan (0 %, 1 %, 2 %) and Lindur fruit extract (0 %, 1 %, 2 %). The observation were conducted at one day and seven days of storage using the parameters of TVB value, pH, TPC, and organoleptic characteristics. The results showed that edible coating with 2 % of lindur extract without chitosan (K0L2) is able to inhibit bacterial growth at storage temperature ofÂ Â±10Â°C . The values of TVB, TPC, pH, and sensory (texture, colour, odor and general acceptance) characteristic are significantly different from those of other treatments (p < 0.05) after one week storage. Lindur extract ofÂ 2% is the optimum concentration to inhibit the increase of microbial count. This study demonstrated that lindurâ€™s extract can be an alternative as antibacterial materials and it is effective as a natural preservative for peeled shrimp.
â€¢ Abugoch LE, CristiÃ¡n T, Maria CV, Mehrdad YP, Mario DD, Characterization of Quinoa Protein-Chitosan Blend Edible Films, Journal of Food Hydrocolloids 25: 879-886, 2011.
â€¢ Angka SI, Suhartono MT, Utilization of Marine Waste: Result of Marine Biotechnology, Bogor: Centre of Coastal and Marine Resources, Bogor Agricultural University, 2000.
â€¢ AOAC, Official methods of analysis, Vol. II Maryland, USA: Association of Official Analytical Chemists International. Chapter 391-27 (17th ed.), 2000.
â€¢ AOCS, Official Methods and Recommended Practices of American Oil Chemists Society (5th ed.). Champaign, USA: A.O.C.S, 1989.
â€¢ Bastaman S, Studies on Degradation and Extraction of Chitin and Chitosan from Prawn Shells, England: The Departement of Mechanical Manufacturing Aeronontical and Chemical Engineering.,The Queen University, 1989.
â€¢ Bharathidasan R and Panneerselvam, Antibacterial Activity and Bioactive Compounds Analysis od Mangrove Endophytic Fungi Penicillium janthinellum, Aspergillus conicus and Phomosis sp, International J of Pharma Research and Dev (IJPRD) Vol 4(04): June-2012 (159-168), 2011.
â€¢ Bourbon AI, Pinheiro AC, Cerqueira MA, Rocha CMR, Maria C, Avides MC Quintas MAC, Vicente AA, Physico-chemical Characterization of Chitosan-based Edible Films incorporating Bioactive Compounds of Different Molecular Weight, J of Food Eng 106: 111-118, 2011.
â€¢ Cagri A, Uspunol Z, Ryser E. Antimicrobial Edible Films and Coatings, J of Food Prot, 67: 833-848, 2004.
â€¢ Conway EJ, Micro-diffusion Analysis and Volumetric Error. London: Crosby, Lockwood and Son Ltd. p. 220, 1950.
â€¢ Erdogdu F, Balaban MO, Otwell WS, Garrido L, Cook-related Yield Loss for Pacific White (Penaeus Vannamei) Shrimp Previously Treated with Phosphates: Effects of Shrimp Size and Internal Temperature Distribution. J of Food Eng. 64: 297-300, 2004.
â€¢ Farber L, Freshness tests in fish as food. (ed. George Borgstrom), 4, 73-75. New York: Academic Press, 1965.
â€¢ Fardiaz S, Food Analyze Microbiological, Bogor: Centre of university of Food and Nutrition, Bogor Agricultural University, 1993.
â€¢ Hongpattakere T, Riyaphan O, Effect of deacetylation condition on antimicrobial activity of chitosan prepared from carapace of black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon), Songklanakarin J Sci and Tech, 30, 2008.
â€¢ LÃ³pez-Caballero ME, GÃ³mez-GuillÃ©n MC, PÃ©rez-Mateos M, and Montero P, A Chitosan-Gelatin Blend as a Coating for Fish Patties, Food Hydrocol, 19:303-311, 2005.
â€¢ Meilgaard M, Civille GV, Carr BT, Sensory Evaluation Techniques (3rd ed.). Boca Raton, Fla: CRC Press. p. 387, 1999.
â€¢ McHugh TH, Aujard JF, Krochta JM, Plasticized Whey Protein Edible Films: Water Vapour Permeability Properties. J of Food Sci, 59: 416-419, 1994.
â€¢ Muzarelli RAA, Peter MG, Chitosan Handbook, European Chitin Society, 1997.
â€¢ Niamnuy C, Devahastin S, Soponronnarit S, Vijaya Raghavan GS, Kinetices of Astaxanthin Degradation and Color Changes of Dried Shrimp during Storage, J of Food Eng, 87(4): 591-600, 2008.
â€¢ Nychas GJE, Tassou CC, Antimicrobial Activity of the Essential Oil of Mastic Gum (Pistachia lenticus var. Chia) on Gram-positive and Gram-negative Bacteria in Broth and in Model Food System, International J of Food Microbiol, 28: 221-232, 1995.
â€¢ Serdaroglu M, Felekoglu E, Effects of using Rosemary Extract and Onion Juice on Oxidative Stability of Sardine (Sardina pilchardus) Mince. J of Food Qual, 28: 109-120, 2005.
â€¢ Sivaperumal P, Ramasamy P, Inbaneson SJ, Ravikumar S, Screening of Antibacterial Activity of Mangrove Leaf Bioactive Compounds Against Antibiotic Resistant Clinical Isolates. World J of Fish and Marine Sci, 2(5): 348-353, 2010.
â€¢ Shigemassa Y, Matsuura H, SashiwaH, Evaluation of Different Ratios from Infrared Spectroscopy for Analysing the Degree of Acetylation in Chitin, International J of Biol Macromolecules, 18, 237-242, 1996.
â€¢ Songsaeng S, Sophanodora P, Kaewsrithong J, Ohshima T, Effect of Different Storage Conditions on Quality of White-Scar Oyster (Crassostrea belcheri). International Food Research J, 17: 491-500, 2010.
â€¢ SPSS, Statistical Package for Social Sciences for Windows Release 10. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc.. Headquarters, Wacker Drive, 2000.
â€¢ Suptijah P, Descriptive Characteristics and Applications of Chitin-Chitosan, In the Proceedings of National Seminar on Chitin-Chitosan, Bogor: Department of Fisheries Product Technology, Bogor Agricultural University, 2006.
â€¢ Suptijah P, Gushagia, Sukarsa DR, Inhibitory Effects Study Power Quality Chitosan against Setback Fillet Catfish (Pangasius hypothalamus) at Room Temperature Storage. Bulletin of Fisheries Technology 11 (2): 89-101, 2007.
â€¢ Townley RR, Lanier T, Effect of Early Evisceration on the Keeping Quality of Atlantic Croaker (Micropogon undulates) and Grey Trout (Cynoscion regalis) as Determined by Subjective and Objective Methodology. J of Food Sci, 46, 863-867, 1981.
â€¢ Tsai GJ, Su WH, Antibacterial Activity of Shrimp Chitosan Againts Escherichia coli, J Food Prot, 68: 170-177, 2002.
â€¢ Tseng YC, Xiong YL, Webster CD, The Preservation of the Quality of the Muscle in Frozen Australia Red Claw Crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus) by Pre-storage Anti-oxidant Dipping Treatments. International J of Food Sci and Tech, 40: 841-848, 2005.
â€¢ Yuliana IK, Antibacterial activity of chitosan by deacetylation degree difference and Molecular Weights [thesis]. Bogor: Master Program, Bogor Agricultural University, 2011.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.