Studies on Extraction Process of Total Polyphenols from Galanga (<i>Alpinia officinarum</i> Hance) Rhizomes
Keywords:Galanga rhizomes, Polyphenols, Extraction process
The effects of different factors on the yield of total polyphenols were discussed, and the extraction conditions of total polyphenols from galanga rhizomes based on single-factor test and orthogonal experiment were studied in this paper. The results showed that, ethanol concentration had the great effects on the yield of total polyphenols, fllowed by extraction temperature and extraction time, and that ethanol concentration and extraction temperature have significant difference (p<0.05). The optimum extraction conditions were ethanol concentration 60%, extraction temperature 30 oC, extraction time 1.0 h and ratio of liquid to material 15:1. Under the optimized conditions, the yield of total polyphenols from galanga rhizomes was 13.43 mg/g.
An N, Zou Z, Tian Z, Luo X, Yang S, Xu L. 2008. Diarylheptanoids from the rhizomes of Alpinia officinarum and their anticancer activity. Fitoterapia 79: 27â€“31.
Cheok CY, Chin NL, Yusof YA, Law CL. 2012. Extraction of total phenolic content from Garcinia mangostana Linn. hull. I. Effects of solvents and UVâ€“Vis spectrophotometer absorbance method. Food and Bioprocess Technology 5: 2928â€“2933.
Jirovetz L, Buchbauer G, Shafi MP, Leela NK. 2003. Analysis of the essential oils of the leaves stems, rhizomes and roots of the medicinal plant Alpinia galangal from southern India. Acta Pharmacol Sin 53: 73â€“81.
Juntachote T, Berghofer E. 2005. Antioxidative properties and stability of ethanolic extracts of Holy basil and Galangal. Food Chemistry 92: 193â€“202.
KÃ¶se LP, GÃ¼lÒ«in Ä°, GÃ¶ren AC, Namiesnik J, Martinez-Ayala AL, Gorinstein S. 2015. LCâ€“MS/MS analysis, antioxidant and anticholinergic properties of galanga (Alpinia officinarum Hance) rhizomes. Industrial Crops and Products 74: 712â€“721.
Lee J, Kim KA, Jeong S, Lee S, Park HJ, Kim NJ, Lim S. 2009. Anti-inflammatory, anti-nociceptive, and anti-psychiatric effects by the rhizomes of Alpinia officinarum on complete Freundâ€™s adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 126: 258â€“264.
Li L, Wang Y, Yang X. 2005. Study on optimization of extraction technology and antioxidant activity of Coix lachrymajobi L. polyphenols. Journal of Xiangnan University 36(2): 23-257.
Liu D, Liu YW, Guan FQ, Liang JY. 2014. New cytotoxic diarylheptanoids from the rhizomes of Alpinia officinarum Hance. Fitoterapia 96: 76â€“80.
Ly TN, Yamauchi R, Shimoyamada M, Kato K. 2002. Isolation and structural elucidation of some glycosides from the rhizomes of smaller galanga (Alpinia officinarum Hance). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50: 4919â€“4924.
Mayachiew P, Devahastin S. 2008. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Indian gooseberry and galangal extracts. LWT- Food Science and Technology 41: 1153â€“1159.
Rebey IB, Bourgou S, Debez IBS, Karoui IJ, Sellami IH, Msaada K. 2012. Effects of extraction solvents and provenances on phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) seeds. Food and Bioprocess Technology 5: 2827â€“2836.
Tao L, Wang ZT, Zhu EY, Lu YH, Wei DZ. 2006. HPLC analysis of bioactive flavonoids from the rhizome of Alpinia officinarum. South African Journal of Botany 72: 163â€“166.
Xu JG, Hu QP, Duan JL, Tian CR. 2010. Dynamic changes in Î³-aminobutyric acid and glutamate decarboxylase activity in oats (Avenel nuda L.) during steeping and germination. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58: 9759â€“9763.
Zhang B.-B, Dai Y, Liao Z-X, Ding L-S. 2010. Three new antibacterial active diarylheptanoids from Alpinia officinarum. Fitoterapia 81: 948â€“952.
Zhao L, Liang JY, Zhang JY, Chen Y. 2010. A novel diarylheptanoid bearing flavonol moiety from the rhizomes of Alpinia officinarum Hance. Chinese Chemical Letters 21: 194â€“196.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.