History of Sericulture in Turkey
Keywords:Bombyx mori, native breed, genetic resource, Silk Road, cocoon
According to ancient sources sericulture was started to be produced in China. Silkworm eggs were illegally exported from China by a Chinese Princess who married a royalty out of Chinese Imperial. Turks who were north neighbour nation of Chinese nation carried those silkworm eggs during their long journey to west. Silk used to be a crucial figure in world economy for centuries. The Silk Road was a political actor among powerful nations. Sericulture production was begun in Anatolia which is Asian part of Turkey in A.D. 552 during Byzantium Emperor of Justinianus. The city of Bursa became a textile city which was famous for silk and silk trade centre. In middle of 16th century silk textile Ä±ndustry was developed. Apart from city of Bursa, cities of Istanbul, Edirne, Amasya, Denizli, Izmir and Konya were important sericulture centres. After Republic of Turkey has built, silkworm egg production, silkworm care and feed were protected under the Law of 859 in 1926. Some cooperative unions were built in Bursa, Bilecik and Adapazari in 1940 to protect and increase cocoon production. Later than those cooperatives were unified and they built Cocoon Sale Cooperatives Union of Bursa in 11 May 1940. Silkworm Egg Production Management of Cocoon Union which produced silkworm eggs was built in 1963. Turkey is one of the silkworm egg producer countries in the World. In this review history of sericulture was summarized.
â€¢ Adamaz, K. 2013. Fruit and Vegetable Production in Demirci District in XVIth Century. Akademik Tarih ve Dusunce Dergisi. 1 (1): 1-18.
â€¢ Akbay, R. 1981. Ipekbocegi Yetistirme. Ankara Universitesi, Ziraat Fakultesi, Ders Notlari, 54. Ankara.
â€¢ Akkus, T. 2013. Bursa Ipekciliginde Gayrimuslimler. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 136-147.
â€¢ Altun, D. 2007. XIX. Yuzyilda Bursaâ€™da Ipek Bocekciligi. Balikesir Universitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi Tarih KulubuBulteni, 2007/1: 102-108.
â€¢ Anonymous. 2010. Statistical Year Book 2010. Turkish Statistical Institute, Prime Ministry: Ankara.
â€¢ Anonymous. 2013a. Livestock Statistics, Statistics by Theme. Turkish Statistical Institute, Prime Ministry, Ankara. (accessed on 3.1.2014)
â€¢ Anonymous.2013b. 2013 YÄ±lÄ±Ä°pekbÃ¶ceÄŸiRaporu.T.C. GÃ¼mrÃ¼k ve TicaretBakanlÄ±ÄŸÄ±, KooperatifÃ§ilik Genel MÃ¼dÃ¼rlÃ¼ÄŸÃ¼RaporlarÄ±, Åžubat, Ankara.
â€¢ Basaran, H. Z. 2013. Bursa Ipekciliginde KadinlariRolu. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 114-117.
â€¢ Bayram, N. 2013.The Socio-Economie Analysis of Silk Industry in Bursa in Proeess 1837-1923. UludagUniversitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 2013/1, 14 (24): 45-58.
â€¢ Boykoy, S. 2013. The Silk Cocoon Production and The Silk Textile Industry in the Process of 1908-1923 in Bursa. UludagUniversitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 2013/1, 14 (24): 19-44.
â€¢ Cakici, M. 2013. Bursa IpekCekimFabrikasi ve Ä°stihdamSorunu (1851-1873). Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 56-66.
â€¢ Ciftci, C. 2013a.Cocoon Farming and Silk Weaving in Bursa in Process 1837-1908. UludagUniversitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 2013/1, 14 (24): 1-18.
â€¢ Dortok-Abaci, Z. 2006. Bursa Economy According to the British Consular Reports (1848-1896). UludagUniversitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 2006/2, 7 (11): 159-171.
â€¢ Durkaya, H. 2010. An Analyze on the Animals in FehÃ®m-i Kadim Divan. Uluslararasi Sosyal Arastirmalar Dergisi, 3 (15): 13-27.
â€¢ Ersevinc, M. 2013. 19-20. Yuzyillarda Bursa'da Ipekcilik. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 92-101.
â€¢ Ertugrul, M., Dellal, G., Elmaci, C., Akin, A. O., Pehlivan, E., Soysal, M. I. & Arat, S. 2010. Conservation Of Farm Animal Genetic Resources And Their Sustainable Use. Turkish Agricultural Engineering Technical Congress VII, 11-15 January 2010. Ankara.
â€¢ Hunter, W. 2013. Bursa Mektubu - Mayis 1792 (Cev: Ekiz, C. ve Ulutas, C.). Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 396-401.
â€¢ Imer, Z. 2005. MiladiDonemOncesinde Orta Asyaâ€™daIpek.Bilig, Turk Dunyasi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 32: 1-32.
â€¢ Kadioglu, S. 2005. Bursa Ziraat Cemiyeti (1927) ve yayiniAsrÃ®Ciftci.OsmanliBilimiArastirmalari Dergisi, 6/2: 265-286.
â€¢ Karakulak, A. 2011.AktifIsgucuPolitikalarininKadinIstihdamiUzerindekiEtkisi. KadinEmegiKonferansi, 3 Mayis 2011, Ankara.
â€¢ Kaya, R. and Tutkun, M. 2012. Turkiyeâ€™deIpekbocekciligi.8th National Congress of Animal Science Students, 22-23 May 2012, Sanliurfa.
â€¢ Kirpik, G. 2012. Haclilar ve IpekYolu.Bilig, Turk Dunyasi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 61: 173-200.
â€¢ Mermutlu, B. 2013. The Status of Manufacturers and Small Tradesmen in Bursa After the Exchange. UludagUniversitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 2013/2, 14 (25): 267-288.
â€¢ Soysaldi, A. ve Ozdemir, H. A. 2013.Bursa KizCeyizindeIpeginYeri. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 156-165.
â€¢ Sahin, A. ve Cengiz, S. 2010. The Effects of the 16th Century Price Revolution and the Ottoman-Iran Wars on the Ottoman Silk Industry.Isletme ve EkonomiArastirmalari Dergisi. 1 (1): 69-82.
â€¢ Tas, H. 2013. Bursa FolklorundaIpek ve Koza. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 136-147.
â€¢ Tasligil, N. 1996.From Past to Date Sericulture in Bursa. Marmara Cografya Dergisi. 1 (1): 237-246.
â€¢ Tezcan, S., Tezcan, F., Gulpercin, N., Karababa, A. O., Kanlioglu, A., Uzum, A., Tanyeri, N., Yolcu, F., Ozcan, N. D., Ilhan, I., Duman, R., Onucar, A., Birgucu, A. K. Atalay, M., Eraslan, V., Oruc, S., Baybora, T. ve Ersoy, M.C. 2010. The Importance of BOFYAP Projects in Raising the Awareness of Insectsin the Society of Turkey.BiyolojiBilimleri Arastirma Dergisi. 3 (1): 101-106.
â€¢ Yasayanlar, D. 2013. Bursa ve Cevresinde Koza Uretimi. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 126-135.
â€¢ Yildirim, M. A. 2013a. On the Development of Sericulture Production After the Establishment of Public Debts (Duyun-i Umumiyye) Institution. Mustafa Kemal Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitusu Dergisi. 10 (23): 65-83.
â€¢ Yildirim, M. A. 2013b. Sericulture Education in the Ottoman Empire: The Opening of Harir DÃ¢ruttalim and DÃ¢rulharirs. Turkish Studies. 8/5: 577-594.
â€¢ Yildiz, H. Z. 2013. Bursa'ninIpekIscileri. Bursa'da Yasam Dergisi, Aralik: 108-113.
â€¢ Yucekaya, H. 2013. On the Silk Production of Amasya (1750-1900).Gazi Akademik Bakis Dergisi. 13: 269-284.
How to Cite
- Papers must be submitted on the understanding that they have not been published elsewhere (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis) and are not currently under consideration by another journal published by any other publisher.
- It is also the authors responsibility to ensure that the articles emanating from a particular source are submitted with the necessary approval.
- The authors warrant that the paper is original and that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required.
- The authors ensure that all the references carefully and they are accurate in the text as well as in the list of references (and vice versa).
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.